Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Brasato al Barolo es celeste

Otherwise known as beef braised in red wine. Or pot roast, the jazzy, heavenly version.

I made it last night to serve tomorrow night.  One last cooking scramble before I went back to work and it becomes about "what can I make in 25 minutes!?!" most nights instead of  "wow, that's sounds good!  Three hours?  No problem!" 

The cook's notes and several reviews suggested "letting it sit" for a couple of days, to marinate in its own juices, before reheating and serving.  Sounded a little eww to me, having limited experience with pot roast and no experience cooking it, but I was willing to give it a shot, especially wth a dish described as "heavenly"  and "the comfort food of the gods."  And "wicked good."  That's my favorite review and what sold me on making this roast.

                                                                          source

That and the fact that there would be that leftover wine to be dealt with.  Waste not, want not. 

I sampled a bit of the roast this evening from the fridge after I got home from work.  It was nothing like the only brush I've had with pot roast before, when I was about eight and at my mom's friend's home.  She put a hunk of meat with some carrots and tomato sauce in a slow cooker and let it sit. there. all. day.  That was not heavenly.  That was eww (sorry, mom's friend, who shall remain nameless.  You did make great cookies!).  This recipe is super tender and tasty right out of the icebox-- I can't wait to try it warm!

I think we'll have it with some polenta tomorrow with it, if I can get home at a decent hour--  Alton Brown's is wicked good.  Maybe even wicked awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment