Monday, January 2, 2012

Black-Eyed Peas (not the band)

I can’t stand black-eyed peas.  There, I said it.  Not the band. Will-I-Am and Fergie are fine, as are those other two guys that no one seems to remember their names, including me.  I just can’t stand the canned legume.  I had to make black-eyed peas, tradition on all sides of the family demanded it.  No telling what kind of mayhem would happen if we didn’t eat our spoonful of black eyed peas on New Year’s Day.
So I try to be sure that I make something I really, really like with those peas-that-are-really-beans.  Here’s what we made:
Grilled Pork Tenderloin (this is my hubby’s recipe, so I don’t have a link.   I’ll have to get him to post whatever he does to make it taste so amazing.)
Sweet Potato Salad.  I saw the recipe in Christmas with Southern Living 2011 and thought it sounded tasty, with the mustard, cinnamon, and curry.  It is, but I think they got the temperature wrong in the book – 450 for 45 minutes seems to scorch things in my oven, not roast them.  Thirty minutes or so at 425 was perfect. [side note:  it is amazing on the second day, cold or hot!]
Grandmother’s Buttermilk Cornbread.  Not my grandmother’s recipe, but from Bethany Weathersby, who graciously posted it on allrecipes.com (great site!).  I didn't have buttermilk, so did the vinegar thing and it still came out great. 
Today we are having leftovers!  I am so grateful that my family is not picky about leftovers.  Waste not, want not!
I am not really ready to go back to work-- there is no place like home--but do miss my other 826(!) children (I work in education).  So I will make sure everything is ready to go for tomorrow and look forward to a great new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment